How to make black garlic - 如何做黑蒜

Moderators: Adviser, Team Dhealing

SAG

Re: How to make black garlic - 如何做黑蒜

Unread postby SAG » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 pm

Hello Dear Master, :smile:

Why is my black garlic only 6X as strong? Is it because I took it out day 16 or because it's been aging for 6 days after I removed it from the rice cooker? :thinking

With love and blessings, :respect:
SAG

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:35 pm

SAG wrote:Hello Dear Master, :smile:

Why is my black garlic only 6X as strong? Is it because I took it out day 16 or because it's been aging for 6 days after I removed it from the rice cooker? :thinking

SAG

The way you made it - it is 6X now.

master atan.

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:32 am

Hello Dear Master, :D:

I put my black garlic in an air tight freezer zip lock bag. I will try one tomorrow to see if it's different in the fridge.

My next batch I am going to try and keep in the rice cooker for 20 days and then dry it longer than 6 days.

SAG
Attachments
Zip Lock Bag.JPG
Rice cooker 16 days and dried on rack for 6 days.
Zip Lock Bag.JPG (25.37 KiB) Viewed 54846 times

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:17 am

When you put into the fridge - the process of drying still continue. :smile:

When placed into the fridge - it can last for more than 6 months.

master atan.

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:52 am

Hello Dear Master,

My black garlic in the fridge is sometime more firm. Some cloves are soft and others are more firm. Will it become more soft in the fridge over time?

SAG

master wrote:When you put into the fridge - the process of drying still continue. :smile:

master atan.

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:16 pm

SAG wrote:Hello Dear Master,

My black garlic in the fridge is sometime more firm. Some cloves are soft and others are more firm. Will it become more soft in the fridge over time?

SAG

master wrote:When you put into the fridge - the process of drying still continue. :smile:

master atan.

It is not important. :smile:

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:47 pm

Dear Master,

May I ask why it is not important? Do you mean it is still just as good if it is firm? :thinking

SAG :g

master wrote:

SAG

master atan.

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:16 am

You will have more consistent black garlic - when you had more experiences.

Soft or hard - both is good.

master atan.

SAG wrote:Dear Master,

May I ask why it is not important? Do you mean it is still just as good if it is firm? :thinking

master wrote:

SAG

master atan.

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello Dear Master,

On December 28th I harvested my black garlic from the rice cooker. I had it in there for 22 days. :yp:
What I did this time was put a piece of foil on top of the element, then put thew rice pot in, then put another piece of foil at the bottom of the rice cooker, then added my garlic. I also had the foil on the top of the garlic. I think this made the rice cooker not as hot.

The other thing I changed this time, is I rotated it every 4 days up to day 16. Then on day 18 I rotated it every 2 days up to day 22 when I harvested it. I think it didn't cook it as hard as it did the first time and they bulbs were much more black. I have not tried it yet. Today is only day 5 of the drying time.

When I removed the garlic from the cooker, I left the cooker plugged in on for an hour and put an oven thermometer inside. The temperature was reading approx 75C.

When my stomach is feeling better I will sample this batch. I am still taking the olive oil and honey most days. I am also drinking Kefir.

With love and blessings. :respect:
SAG :smile:

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:30 am

SAG - good effort. :vh:

It is good - you had success in making good black garlic.

master atan.

choesf

Unread postby choesf » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:54 pm

Hello there, dear SAG :D:

Congratulations on mastering the black garlic recipe! :vh: :claphand: :yp:

I also registered a temperature of 75 degrees Celcius when I placed a piece of aluminium foil onto the heating plate. So, the foil did drop the heat somewhat. :thinking

With love and blessings :g ,

choesf :respect:

On December 28th I harvested my black garlic from the rice cooker. I had it in there for 22 days. :yp:
What I did this time was put a piece of foil on top of the element, then put thew rice pot in, then put another piece of foil at the bottom of the rice cooker, then added my garlic. I also had the foil on the top of the garlic. I think this made the rice cooker not as hot.

The other thing I changed this time, is I rotated it every 4 days up to day 16. Then on day 18 I rotated it every 2 days up to day 22 when I harvested it. I think it didn't cook it as hard as it did the first time and they bulbs were much more black. I have not tried it yet. Today is only day 5 of the drying time.

When I removed the garlic from the cooker, I left the cooker plugged in on for an hour and put an oven thermometer inside. The temperature was reading approx 75C.

When my stomach is feeling better I will sample this batch. I am still taking the olive oil and honey most days. I am also drinking Kefir.

SAG :smile:
"If you need help - don't shut the door" - Master atan

Wishing you a very Happy and Prosperous Chinese New Year!
Gong Xi Fa Cai!
:yp: :yp: :yp:

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:28 am

Hello Dear Choesf, :smile:

I thought I would post something about this second batch for our members. I tried one clove today after it was drying for 10 days. :omg2: I forgot to bag it and put it in the fridge. :omg:

I think the "extra" drying time has made it even nicer. :claphand: It was moist, sweet and very tasty. :yp: This batch was garlic from Spain.

I'm going to start my 3rd batch since our weather is not too bad here right now. The garlic I have now is from Argentina so I hope it tastes as good as batch #2. :unsure:

Thank you for the congratulations. I'm going to follow my same instructions as I did for batch #2. :D:

Master how strong is my Black Garlic? I had it in the rice cooker for 22 days. :vh:

I think everyone who can should try this for good health. :vgood: I'm going to have some nice fresh Black Garlic for CNY 2016. :yp: :vgood:

With love and blessings. :Dziekuje:
Attachments
IMG_6797.JPG
IMG_6795.JPG

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:31 am

Dear Master, :D:

Another question for you. My first batch is somewhat bitter and hard to get down my throat :omg2:

When I start eating it again can I take it with honey to kill the flavor? :help: :thinking It's not that tasty. :omg:

choesf

Unread postby choesf » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:43 pm

Hello there, dear SAG :D:

I am so happy for you that you finally had a taste of how black garlic (BG) should be like - sweet, moist and very tasty, with just a hint of garlicky taste. :yp: :claphand:

It must be something about your first batch of fresh garlic that you used that gave the end result of BG a very bitter taste. :thinking

While my first batch of BG tasted very good, my second batch didn't taste as good. I am now making a third batch of BG using really fat bulbs of garlic that has slightly purple skins, and I have a feeling that this 3rd batch will be really good. :thinking

Luckily, you had persisted in your efforts of making BG and you didn't give up eventhough your first BG taste was really bitter!

Cheers to black garlic!

choesf :Dziekuje:

SAG wrote:Hello Dear Choesf, :smile:

I thought I would post something about this second batch for our members. I tried one clove today after it was drying for 10 days. :omg2: I forgot to bag it and put it in the fridge. :omg:

I think the "extra" drying time has made it even nicer. :claphand: It was moist, sweet and very tasty. :yp: This batch was garlic from Spain.

I'm going to start my 3rd batch since our weather is not too bad here right now. The garlic I have now is from Argentina so I hope it tastes as good as batch #2. :unsure:

Thank you for the congratulations. I'm going to follow my same instructions as I did for batch #2. :D:

Master how strong is my Black Garlic? I had it in the rice cooker for 22 days. :vh:

I think everyone who can should try this for good health. :vgood: I'm going to have some nice fresh Black Garlic for CNY 2016. :yp: :vgood:

With love and blessings. :Dziekuje:

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:48 pm

Sag - your prepared Black Garlic is very good. :smile:

Can use it for cooking or prepare salad.

master atan.

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:46 pm

Thank you Dear Master, :smile:

I'm becoming an expert at this now. :omg:

I am wondering if any other members are brave to try making black garlic (BG)? Now that Choesf and I have been the guinea pigs, we can help the members with questions because of our experience. :vgood:

master wrote:Sag - your prepared Black Garlic is very good. :smile:

master atan.

atan

Unread postby atan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:53 am

Good Thinking. :yp:

SAG wrote:Thank you Dear Master, :smile:

I'm becoming an expert at this now. :omg:

I am wondering if any other members are brave to try making black garlic (BG)? Now that Choesf and I have been the guinea pigs, we can help the members with questions because of our experience. :vgood:

master wrote:Sag - your prepared Black Garlic is very good. :smile:

master atan.
Retired ~ Professional Healer,Psychic,Crystal Master , Feng Shui Master and New Age Priest.~ 退休神醫,風水大師,新時代法師.

sue3008

Unread postby sue3008 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Good Afternoon Master,

I have given away my rice cooker tens of years ago.
Maybe I can try to find an old one., do you think this will do?

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:14 pm

sue3008 wrote:Good Afternoon Master,

I have given away my rice cooker tens of years ago.
Maybe I can try to find an old one., do you think this will do?

This cooker not suitable - it must be a lock/jar rice cooker. :smile:

:thinking size --- 1.8L is the best.

master atan.

jencsh

Unread postby jencsh » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Dear Master,

Thank you for your step by step instructions for the Black Garlic recipe. Thanks to Choesf and SAG too for sharing their experiences, so I knew what to expect for my first attempt.

The garlic had turned darkish from Day 8 but was still firm. Today is Day 18 (see pics below), the flesh is softer and moist ..similar to dried prunes texture. It has a deep flavour that is slightly tangy and sweet and no taste of garlic.

I will try to leave it to ferment in the cooker till 28 days. In case I'm unable to stretch till 28 days, how do I tell that garlic has to be taken out of the cooker?

Thanks
Jencsh

Image Image

choesf

Unread postby choesf » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 am

Good morning, dear Jencsh :D:

While waiting for Master to come in, I reply you first and he can add on later. I am so glad that you are also making Black Garlic (BG) - it has so many health benefits (the best is for body sprains and pains, and for cold and flu). :vgood:

The longest time I ever had for my BG was 21 days.

Monitor your BG daily now by tasting a clove to see if it has gotten harder - if it is harder, then it is time to remove from the rice cooker. By now, rotate your BG from bottom to top every two days.

After harvesting, I dried my BG in a plastic colander/basket for around 3 to 5 days. Then I packed them into plastic containers and plastic bags for storage in the fridge.

The BG tastes sweeter and better as they age further in the fridge. Try it after 2 days in the fridge. I found that BG tastes better cold than at room temperature.

Eat just 2 cloves a day for health maintenance. If I need healing quick, I take half a bulb once. When I sprained the side of my body a little, I quickly ate half a bulb and the pain was gone in half a day. Previously, without taking BG, the pain would have lasted a few days. :vh:

choesf :D:

jencsh wrote:Dear Master,

Thank you for your step by step instructions for the Black Garlic recipe. Thanks to Choesf and SAG too for sharing their experiences, so I knew what to expect for my first attempt.

The garlic had turned darkish from Day 8 but was still firm. Today is Day 18 (see pics below), the flesh is softer and moist ..similar to dried prunes texture. It has a deep flavour that is slightly tangy and sweet and no taste of garlic.

I will try to leave it to ferment in the cooker till 28 days. In case I'm unable to stretch till 28 days, how do I tell that garlic has to be taken out of the cooker?

Thanks
Jencsh

Image Image

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks
Jencsh

Image Image

Very nice and well fermented. :vh:

Turn it every 4 days - 28 days - no problem.

master atan.

jencsh

Unread postby jencsh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:20 pm

Dear Choesf,

Thanks very much for the tips :vh:
Can't wait to start taking. Getting my parents to try as well. There are a few people waiting to try my BG :D:
Looks like I will be making more after this batch.

Warm Regards,
Jencsh

choesf wrote:Good morning, dear Jencsh :D:

While waiting for Master to come in, I reply you first and he can add on later. I am so glad that you are also making Black Garlic (BG) - it has so many health benefits (the best is for body sprains and pains, and for cold and flu). :vgood:

The longest time I ever had for my BG was 21 days.

Monitor your BG daily now by tasting a clove to see if it has gotten harder - if it is harder, then it is time to remove from the rice cooker. By now, rotate your BG from bottom to top every two days.

After harvesting, I dried my BG in a plastic colander/basket for around 3 to 5 days. Then I packed them into plastic containers and plastic bags for storage in the fridge.

The BG tastes sweeter and better as they age further in the fridge. Try it after 2 days in the fridge. I found that BG tastes better cold than at room temperature.

Eat just 2 cloves a day for health maintenance. If I need healing quick, I take half a bulb once. When I sprained the side of my body a little, I quickly ate half a bulb and the pain was gone in half a day. Previously, without taking BG, the pain would have lasted a few days. :vh:

choesf :D:

Thanks
Jencsh

Image Image

jencsh

Unread postby jencsh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:33 pm

Thank you Dear Master :vh:

Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to ferment to at least 28 days :D:

Warm Regards,
Jencsh

master wrote:

Thanks
Jencsh

Image Image

Very nice and well fermented. :vh:

Turn it every 4 days - 28 days - no problem.

master atan.

• Advertisement
Prayer Room for 2017

1. More Detail

Good Luck

Return to “Herbs - Black Garlic - 黑蒜”