How to make black garlic - 如何做黑蒜

Moderators: Adviser, Team Dhealing

SAG

Re: How to make black garlic - 如何做黑蒜

Unread postby SAG » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:26 pm

OK Master, I will wait and not taste it. Today is only day 10, so tomorrow I will open up one bulb to see how it is doing and if it's black yet. :vh:

With love and blessings, :respect:
SAG

master wrote:
SAG wrote:Dear Master, :smile:

I will post my black garlic for 8th day tomorrow. I think they are doing well. On day 12t I will open a bulb to see the clove and take some pictures. I think they are already black and the top layer is very wet and soggy...the bottom level is nice and soft but dryer. :yp:

I can't wait to try it but right now the smell still stinks like strong garlic. :omg:

With love and blessings. :respect:
SAG :g

:thinking As long as the garlic is soft and moist - success rate is more than 80 %.

To early to taste it - for 12 days, unless it had turned black.

master atan.

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:17 pm

black garlic bulks 28th days - completed - 黑心蒜.jpg
black garlic bulks 28th days - completed - 这是完成发酵黑蒜 - 28天。

This is the finished fermented black garlic - 28 days.

这是完成发酵黑蒜 - 28天。

[hr]

black garlic clove 28th days - completed - 黑心蒜.jpg
这是完成发酵黑蒜 - 28天。

Completed making black garlic procedures.

制作完成黑蒜程序。
[hr]

black garlic  28th days - completed -  黑心蒜.jpg
black garlic bulks 28th days - completed - 这是完成发酵黑蒜 - 28天。

Keep it in the open space for the black garlic to age - after one week you can keep it in the fridge - Black Garlic can be keep in the fridge for 6 months - without problem.

One can start to eat the black garlic immediately after removing from the rice cooker - remember - one days 2 cloves only.

[hr]

保持它在良好的气流的空间 - 一周后,你可以把它放在冰箱里 - 黑蒜可以保持冰箱里6个月 - 没有问题。

可以开始立即吃黑蒜从电饭煲中删除 - 记住 - 1天只有2小片。

master atan - Johor - Malaysia

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:57 pm

black Garlic  黑心蒜 batch 2 first day.jpg
black Garlic 黑心蒜 batch 2 - first day

Today i made black garlic again - this time with 2 rice cookers. :vh:

Many request for it at my place - they miss it - i had stop making it at beginning of this year, it is also good time for me to make more for CNY 2016.

Now - the price of fresh garlic had gone up - nearly double the price of last year, when i made about 300 black garlic.

Good Luck to those who try this method.

Master atan - Johor - Malaysia

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Hello Dear Master,

Wow, 2 rice cookers. :vh: Your black garlic looks something like mine after day 12 but I don't think I can keep it in the rice cooker for 28 days. It's already getting firm. Especially the bottom ones.

I'm attaching a picture of what it looks like. I opened one this morning and tasted it. I have to tell you that it wasn't the best tasting yet. Maybe it will get sweeter. over time. :thinking

I bought another rice cooker (just in case I want to make a double batch) on sale at the store. The same kind I have only it's a big 20 cup rice cooker. :yp: I figured if I make more I'll do a double batch and if not I'll take it back. I have 30 days to decide. :smile:

What do you think of my black garlic Master? :unsure:

Attachments
IMG_6720.JPG
Day 12 opened one clove and it is very black
IMG_6720.JPG (39.34 KiB) Viewed 86448 times

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:53 pm

SAG wrote:Hello Dear Master,

Wow, 2 rice cookers. :vh: Your black garlic looks something like mine after day 12 but I don't think I can keep it in the rice cooker for 28 days. It's already getting firm. Especially the bottom ones.

I'm attaching a picture of what it looks like. I opened one this morning and tasted it. I have to tell you that it wasn't the best tasting yet. Maybe it will get sweeter. over time. :thinking

I bought another rice cooker (just in case I want to make a double batch) on sale at the store. The same kind I have only it's a big 20 cup rice cooker. :yp: I figured if I make more I'll do a double batch and if not I'll take it back. I have 30 days to decide. :smile:

Your rice cooker is too hot or may be you cover the rice cooker - heat can build up .

Your black garlic don't look moist - take a look at my black garlic cloves - it is wet.

You have to get a simple rice cooker - look at my rice cooker pictures - this rice cooker is only about USD20+.

Black garlic like the one i made - it can go up to 50 days in the rice cooker.

master atan.

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Hello Dear Master,

I don't know that it is too hot. I have it on keep warm. After 12 days it should not be black? I don't cover the rice cooker other than cover it in the plastic container to keep it from the snow and rain.

It was moist and soft.

Love and blessings.

SAG
master wrote:

Your rice cooker is too hot or may be you cover the rice cooker - heat can build up .

Your black garlic don't look moist - take a look at my black garlic cloves - it is wet.

You have to get a simple rice cooker - look at my rice cooker pictures - this rice cooker is only about USD20+.

master atan.

choesf

Unread postby choesf » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Hello there, dear SAG :D:

My rice cooker had the same problem - it was too hot, too! :omg2: I think the modern rice cookers have a hotter "keep warm" temperature and so, our black garlic turns black faster, compared to Master's older model rice cooker. I used a thermometer and got a reading of 80 degrees Celcius for my rice cooker. I have seen some people registering a temperature of 60 degrees in their rice cooker (in the Hong Kong videos) and that is the ideal temperature.

It is okay, I harvested mine at Day 15, air-dried for 3 to 4 days, and then I kept mine in a plastic box in the fridge. Today is Day 23 and I tasted a clove of my black garlic - it has turned sweeter and more moist like jelly (like silken tofu), and not as hard as before on Day 15 (like harder tofu?) :thinking

BG Day 23 Clove Check.JPG

BG Day 23 Mash.JPG

I will experiment with making my second batch of black garlic to see how they can age longer in my "too hot" rice cooker and report here later. :idea: :think:

With love and blessings :g ,

choesf :respect:
"If you need help - don't shut the door" - Master atan

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:52 pm

If it is moist and soft - no problem. :smile:

Check again on the 16th day.

master atan.

I don't know that it is too hot. I have it on keep warm. After 12 days it should not be black? I don't cover the rice cooker other than cover it in the plastic container to keep it from the snow and rain.

It was moist and soft.

Love and blessings.

SAG
master wrote:

master atan.

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:01 pm

choesf wrote:Hello there, dear SAG :D:

My rice cooker had the same problem - it was too hot, too! :omg2: I think the modern rice cookers have a hotter "keep warm" temperature and so, our black garlic turns black faster, compared to Master's older model rice cooker. I used a thermometer and got a reading of 80 degrees Celcius for my rice cooker. I have seen some people registering a temperature of 60 degrees in their rice cooker (in the Hong Kong videos) and that is the ideal temperature.

It is okay, I harvested mine at Day 15, air-dried for 3 to 4 days, and then I kept mine in a plastic box in the fridge. Today is Day 23 and I tasted a clove of my black garlic - it has turned sweeter and more moist like jelly (like silken tofu), and not as hard as before on Day 15 (like harder tofu?) :thinking

The attachment BG Day 23 Clove Check.JPG is no longer available

The attachment BG Day 23 Mash.JPG is no longer available

I will experiment with making my second batch of black garlic to see how they can age longer in my "too hot" rice cooker and report here later. :idea: :think:

That is successful in making black garlic for you. :vh:

You can try to place a an aluminum plate with holes at the bottom of the rice cooker - hope it can lower the temperature

black garlic plate.jpg
Place it at the bottom of rice cooker

This time try to made one batch with only rice cooker.

master atan.

choesf

Unread postby choesf » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:29 am

Good morning, dear Master :D:

I am all ready to make my second batch of black garlic today. I will go buy some garlic shortly. :claphand:

I don't have that metal steaming rack anymore and so, I placed a thick piece of aluminium foil (about 1cm thick and folded) at the bottom of my rice cooker, and I placed 2 pairs of disposable wooden chopsticks on top of the foil.

After putting in the garlic, I will put another piece of foil with some newspaper and baking soda inside inside to absorb the garlic smells and catch any moisture dripping from the inside cover of the rice cooker. :thinking

choesf

Unread postby choesf » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:31 am

P.S. Because my rice cooker is too hot, I am thinking of switching it off for a few hours every day to cool it little...so that I can stretch longer the aging period to more than 15 days? :thinking

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:45 am

Hello Dear Master and Choesf, :D:

Today is day 14 and I went to take a look. Everything is quite wet and moist so I'm going to see what the bottom ones look like tomorrow on day 15. If they are starting to dry out more I will harvest them and then let them air dry.

Master we can't get those kind of rice cookers here. We only have Amazon and some stores and they sell the most sophisticated ones in the stores. I saw yours on ebay but they come from China and the shipping charge is twice or more than the rice cooker so it would be too expensive to get that type. :omg2:

I was in a store the other day (buying another one on sale only it's a 20 cup and the one I have is 14 cup) and I saw the Tiger rice cooker. Oh my goodness. Now I understand why everyone raves about that rice cooker. Much to nice to make black garlic but it was very well built from Japan.

I am happy with mine and if they are only have as good as yours Master well then maybe I should eat 3 per day. :thinking

I will take pics and post them tomorrow for you. :smile:

SAG

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:26 pm

SAG wrote:Hello Dear Master and Choesf, :D:

Today is day 14 and I went to take a look. Everything is quite wet and moist so I'm going to see what the bottom ones look like tomorrow on day 15. If they are starting to dry out more I will harvest them and then let them air dry.

Master we can't get those kind of rice cookers here. We only have Amazon and some stores and they sell the most sophisticated ones in the stores. I saw yours on ebay but they come from China and the shipping charge is twice or more than the rice cooker so it would be too expensive to get that type. :omg2:

I was in a store the other day (buying another one on sale only it's a 20 cup and the one I have is 14 cup) and I saw the Tiger rice cooker. Oh my goodness. Now I understand why everyone raves about that rice cooker. Much to nice to make black garlic but it was very well built from Japan.

I am happy with mine and if they are only have as good as yours Master well then maybe I should eat 3 per day. :thinking

I will take pics and post them tomorrow for you. :smile:

SAG

Your garlic look good . :smile:

If it taste like dry grape - then it is a success.

master atan.

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:29 am

Hell Dear Master, :smile:

I rotated them on Saturday (Day 14) because I didn't want to bottom ones to dry out. Monday (tomorrow) will be day 16 and I think I am going to remove them from the rice cooker. I"m going to test one again see if it's still moist like it was the other day. They were damp and moist from the water in them. :vh:

I'm happy to start cooing them on a rack to dry and then get them into plastic. I think they will be ok but I will let you know! :yp:

SAG

choesf

Unread postby choesf » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:20 pm

Good afternoon, dear Master and SAG :D:

Wow, SAG, your black garlic is almost ready for harvesting. Hope you will be able to eat them to improve your health. :yp:

I have not heard of the Tiger rice cooker - I must go see what it is like and go look for it when I go to the mall. :thinking

I only managed to buy some garlic today and I have just started aging them about 2 hours ago.

This time round, I have done things a little differently from the first time :idea: :-

1) took out the inner pot and placed a piece of aluminium foil on top of the heating element at the bottom of the rice cooker. Then put back the inner pot. Hopefully this will help lower the temperature in the inner pot. This was taught to me by Master.

2) placed a thick piece (almost 1 cm?) of aluminium foil at the bottom of the inner pot

3) fill up inner pot with garlic

4) cover with another piece of aluminium pot on top of the garlic to catch moisture collecting on the lid, and prevent moisture from dropping onto garlic

I am also thinking of turning off the rice cooker for a few hours at night, since my rice cooker is too hot. This may help to cool things down a bit and allow my garlic to turn black over a longer period, and I can age them longer. :wink2:

P.S. Decided not to use newspapers and baking soda this time. Rice cooker is outside my house this time, at the balcony :vh:

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:09 pm

Hello Dear Master and Choesf,

I havested my garlic yesterday and now I am thinking that I should have waited longer. :thinking When I tested one small clove on Saturday it was black and getting firm and I was worried they would get too hard. But when I opened one today to eat it it's not as black as yours. Not at all. :omg2: More like very dark brown black. I could have kept it longer but the cooker is hot so I was worried. I covered the bottom of my heating element like you did this time, also foil on the bottom of the rice pot and then foil on top to catch the moisture. I am hoping that it will heat it more slowly.

These are the pictures of my harvested garlic. It smells and tastes sweeter than it did the other day. I have it drying on a drying rack.

The pictures of the cloves is what I took this morning. I ate 2 of them and you can see the larger cloves are not as black as yours. I don't understand how some cloves can be black and others not. :omg2: Oh well, I will eat them and if they are not as healthy as yours I'll just eat more per day. I think I'm on the right track and I've got the next batch cooking :vh:

Master do you think these will be ok or are they not beneficial?

SAG
Attachments
IMG_6746.JPG
It's Moist But Not As Black
IMG_6746.JPG (24.72 KiB) Viewed 86304 times
IMG_6744.JPG
Harvested Clove This Morning
IMG_6744.JPG (21.81 KiB) Viewed 86304 times
IMG_6739.JPG
Getting Air Dried
IMG_6739.JPG (41.41 KiB) Viewed 86304 times
IMG_6734.JPG
Just harvested on Monday (Day 16)
IMG_6734.JPG (40.44 KiB) Viewed 86304 times

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:19 pm

Hello Dear Master and Choesf,

My new batch is all ready. I took a picture of the garlic in my hand so you can see how they look. The new garlic is nicer than my first batch. I"m going to find more of this and store it for the next batch I'll make. :yp:
I could only get 14 of them in the rice cooker. :smile:

Attachments
IMG_6742.JPG
Can't close my fingers around it
IMG_6742.JPG (26 KiB) Viewed 86304 times
IMG_6741.JPG
Can barely fit my palm
IMG_6741.JPG (27.19 KiB) Viewed 86304 times
IMG_6737.JPG
Big Spanish Garlic
IMG_6737.JPG (29.82 KiB) Viewed 86304 times

choesf

Unread postby choesf » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:50 am

Wow, those are giant garlic bulbs! Definitely twice as big as mine. No wonder you could only fit half the amount of mine into your rice cooker. Maybe your larger garlic will take longer to ferment? But your Spanish garlic looks really good. :vh:

You are so lucky to be able to buy different types of garlic to try. Here, we have one and only one type of garlic - from China! :sleep:

I forgot to mention earlier that the air-dried black garlic look a dark brown black colour but when refrigerated - it becomes black and wetter. Strange, right?

choesf :D:

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Hello Dear Choesf,

I didn't throw out my drying garlic. I will dry it for 1 week then put it in plastic in the fridge. If it gets more black and wet that is good. That is strange that yours went more black and wet. :thinking I was so upset when I saw that some of my large cloves I ate were not black. :unsure:

Should I be eating them now while they are drying? I have one bulb that I've been using as testing.

As for my new Spanish garlic they are HUGE!!! :yp: I couldn't believe it when I saw them. I never say garlic from Spain before. What I am noticing is that my garlic has been in the cooker for 2 days and the smell is not as bad as it was the first time I made it. I thought that maybe it was me getting used to it... :omg: but I don't think so. I think the garlic type may have different smells, different flavors and strength. The other was a bad smell. :omg2: This one is tolerable. I don't even have to hold my breath going near it. :omg:

I'm going to try and keep this one longer. I think I should be able to cook it for 20 days at least. I put foil on the element and bottom of the rice pot so that should help. I think yours cooked so fast because of the wrap you had around it.

Here's to black garlic experiments. :vgood: :yp:

SAG

Wow, those are giant garlic bulbs! Definitely twice as big as mine. No wonder you could only fit half the amount of mine into your rice cooker. Maybe your larger garlic will take longer to ferment? But your Spanish garlic looks really good. :vh:

You are so lucky to be able to buy different types of garlic to try. Here, we have one and only one type of garlic - from China! :sleep:

I forgot to mention earlier that the air-dried black garlic look a dark brown black colour but when refrigerated - it becomes black and wetter. Strange, right?

choesf :D:

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:49 pm

Let is age for 2 weeks - may be it can turn darker. :smile:

Your black garlic now is about 4x.

master atan.

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:42 am

Hello Dear Master, :D:

I tried a couple of cloves today before breakfast. They are darker and softer than 3 days ago when I removed it from the rice cooker. I was able to press it with a fork and it's more black and sweeter. :smile:

Attached is a picture. You want me to age it 2 weeks by drying it before I put it in plastic in the fridge? :thinking

SAG
Attachments
Dec 10 pic 2.JPG
Dec 10 pic 1.JPG

choesf

Unread postby choesf » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:25 pm

I am glad that your black garlic is turning into a wonderful black colour and is mashable already. Best is - it is tasting sweeter! Great! :claphand: :yp:

Oh, I didn't know Spanish garlic is not imported from Spain - it is a type of garlic! :oops: :lol:

Yes, this time around, my rice cooker is not wrapped at all and I am only opening it once every 3 days to rotate the garlic. I am rotating the garlic every 3 days in case the fermenting period is also shorter at 9 days this time round. :thinking

Cheers to black garlic! :claphand:

With lvoe and blessings :g ,

master
Adviser

Unread postby master » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:27 pm

SAG - your garlic is about 6X. :smile:

If you like - you can place it in the fridge now.

master atan.

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:55 am

Hello Dear Master, :D:

It is only been drying for 6 days. You think it should go in the fridge now?

SAG

master wrote:SAG - your garlic is about 6X. :smile:

If you like - you can place it in the fridge now.

master atan.

SAG

Unread postby SAG » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:58 am

Hello Dear Choesf,

The garlic did come from Spain. It is Spanish onions that don't come from Spain.We grow them here in Canada.

I am going to look for more Spanish Garlic - from Spain tomorrow. I'm going to make sure I have some for my next batch. :yp:

With love and blessings,
SAG

I am glad that your black garlic is turning into a wonderful black colour and is mashable already. Best is - it is tasting sweeter! Great! :claphand: :yp:

Oh, I didn't know Spanish garlic is not imported from Spain - it is a type of garlic! :oops: :lol:

Yes, this time around, my rice cooker is not wrapped at all and I am only opening it once every 3 days to rotate the garlic. I am rotating the garlic every 3 days in case the fermenting period is also shorter at 9 days this time round. :thinking

Cheers to black garlic! :claphand:

With lvoe and blessings :g ,

• Advertisement
Bedroom Mountain Picture for 2016

1. More Detail

Good Luck

Return to “Herbs - Black Garlic - 黑蒜”